There may be times when working in Google Docs where you want to insert a matrix into your file.
A matrix is a mathematical expression, usually, this is a rectangular array of numbers.
There is not a built-in feature to make a matrix in Google Docs.
However, there is an easy method that you can use to create a matrix in your file.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to make a matrix in Google Docs.
Inserting a Matrix in Google Docs
To create a matrix in Google Docs, you need to use the insert table option, and then we will edit the table until it appears like a matrix.
Here are the steps to do this:
1. Open your file and click where you want to insert the matrix. Then in the top menu select Insert>Table. I have set my table to 5×1 in this example, which is what I will be using to create a 3×3 matrix
2. You will now see a table in your file that looks like this
3. We need to edit the size of our table to make it smaller by clicking each border and dragging it to the left
4. When you are done your table should now look something like this
5. You can then begin filling in your table with the numbers that you want in your matrix. Just the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th columns should be filled out for a 3×3 matrix
6. Next you need to highlight every border of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th columns of the table. This can be done by clicking on each border while holding the SHIFT key until they are all highlighted
7. Then in the top toolbar, change the border color to white
8. You will now have created a matrix in your document
Creating a matrix is pretty easy, though getting the size of each column to look uniform can be a little tricky.
It’s not a perfect method, but it’s the best way to get a matrix in your file.
In the example above, I have created a 3×3 matrix. After you’ve done that, try on your own to create a matrix of different dimensions until you feel comfortable with them.
More Google Docs Tutorials:
How to Do Exponents
How to Write Fractions