Google Docs has a lot of useful features that allow you to easily change the capitalization of words in your file.
If you’ve already typed out a bunch of text and you want to change the capitalization, you don’t need to do it manually.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to quickly change text to lowercase, uppercase, or title case in Google Docs.
Table of Contents
Changing to Lowercase
If you want to change text from capital letters to lowercase letters, this can easily be done through the format option in the top menu.
Here are the steps to do this:
1. Open your Google Doc and highlight the text that you want to change the capitalization of
2. After highlighting your text, in the top menu select Format>Text
3. From the drop-down menu select Capitalization>lowercase
4. You should now see that the text you selected in step 1 has changed to lowercase letters
Changing to Uppercase
If you want to capitalize all your text, it is the same process, but this time you would select UPPERCASE from the capitalization drop-down menu.
1. Select the text that you want to change
2. In the top menu select Format>Text
3. From the drop-down menu, select Capitalization>UPPERCASE
4. You should now see the text you select is showing all capital letters
Changing to Titlecase
You also have the option to change any desired text to title case. This is where the first letter in every word is capitalized.
Here are the steps:
1. Highlight the text that you want to capitalize the first letter of every word of
2. In the top menu, select Format>Text
3. From the drop-down menu, select Capitalization>Title Case
4. You will now see your selected text as showing Title Case
Learning to use the built-in capitalization feature in Google Docs can save you a lot of time if you need to change the case of your text.
There are certainly other options you can use to accomplish this though, such as using add-ons.
If you want to use an add-on for this you might want to try one called “Change Case”.
This has some other additional features that the built-in option doesn’t have such as invert case, sentence case, and first letter capital.
However, for most users, this is probably unneeded and the built-in option should be enough for what you need.
More Google Docs Tutorials:
How to Change Letter and Line Spacing