In Google Sheets, you have the ability to insert both comments and notes into your spreadsheets.
If you’re coming from Microsoft Excel, where you only have the ability to comment, you may be wondering what the differences are between the two.
In this tutorial, we will explain the differences between notes and comments and show you how to add them to your Goole Sheets.
Table of Contents
Difference Between Comments and Notes
The difference between notes and comments in Google Sheets is that notes are just a text box where you can enter information.
Comments on the other hand are also text boxes, but these are more dynamic. With comments, you can see comment history, tag others, and reply to comments other people have left.
Comments are better for shared documents when you want another user to see your comment.
How to Add Notes in Google Sheets
- Right-click on the cell where you want to insert your note
- Move your cursor down and select Insert note
- Begin typing your note in the text box and hit Enter when finished
- Your note is finished. If you want to see your note, hover over the cell with your pointer
Deleting Your Note
- To delete your note, right-click on the cell where you want the note removed
- Select Clear notes
How to Add Comments in Google Sheets
- Right-click on the cell where you want to insert the comment
- Move your cursor down and select Comment
- Enter your comment and press the Comment button when you are finished
How to Delete a Comment
- Bring your pointer over the cell with a comment
- The comment should appear. Select the three-dot menu on the right-hand side of the comment box
- Select the Delete option
You can also reply to a comment by hovering over the cell and entering in the textbox. To edit a comment select the edit option
Comments and notes are extremely useful when you need to annotate things in your spreadsheets.
If it’s a sheet with only one user, a note should be sufficient, but comments are much more dynamic and are better for files where multiple people may need to respond to the comment.
More Google Sheets Tutorials:
How to Add Gridlines
How to Combine Two Cells into One with Concatenate
How to Do Math Formulas