As you continue working with various spreadsheet programs, there may be times where you need to open your Excel file in Google Sheets.
You may also need to learn how to save your google sheet as an Excel file.
If you’re working on a computer that doesn’t have Excel installed, but you need to open a spreadsheet, converting it to google sheets is a great option.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to import and export all types of files into Google Sheets.
Table of Contents
Can I Convert Excel to Google Sheets?
Yes, excel files can be converted into to google sheets. Google sheets can work with many different file formats including .xls, .xlsx, .tab, .csv, .xlsm, .xlt, .tsv, and .ods
If you need to open one of these file formats in google sheets, follow the guides below.
How to Convert Excel to Google Sheets
You can open files saved in your Gdrive and files saved on your computer into Google Sheets. We will show you both options for importing a file.
Converting Excel Files in The Drive
If you want to upload a file to your Gdrive and then import it into google sheets, here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to your Gdrive by entering drive.google.com in your address bar.
2. On the left hand size, select File upload
3. Navigate to the file on your computer and double click it to upload it to the Gdrive
4. In your drive you should now see the file. Double click it to open it, and at the top select Open with Google Sheets
Importing an Excel File into Google Sheets
Instead of uploading to the drive, you can also open files directly from your computer into Google Sheets.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. In the top menu select File and then Import
2. A popup will appear on your screen, you want to select Upload
3. Select the blue button to Select a file from your device
4. Find the file that you want to open on your computer and double click it
5. From here you have a few options for import location, we had a blank file opened so we selected Replace spreadsheet. If you want to create a new sheet, select a different option
6. Select Import data
7. That is it. Your excel file should now be open in google sheets and you can begin working with it as you desire
How to Save Google Sheets as an Excel File
Now that you’ve learned to open files in Google Sheets, you may want to learn to save them back into Excel files.
Here’s how it’s done:
- In the top menu select File
- Select Download from here you have the option to save your file as an .xlsx, .ods, .html, .csv, or .tsv file
- If you want to save an Excel file select Microsoft Excel
- Name your file and save it wherever you want on your computer
Being able to open your files with Google Sheets is an important skill to know. I find that I often use excel at work, but for home use if I want some quick spreadsheet work done, I use Google Sheets.
Being able to import and export excel files from Google Sheets will enable you to access your files from anywhere.
We hope you found this tutorial helpful!
More Google Sheets Tutorials:
How to Lock a Row
How to Combine Two Cells into One
How to Outline Cells by Adding Borders